Sermon Reflection – A Leader’s Prayer



"Devil, I can smell you. You know my weak spots and you stir up my pride. But, I won't give into your ways. I don't live to be recognized or praised by people. I live to SERVE MY LORD JESUS."



The prayer Pastor Nick showed us Sunday is one that I can definitely identify with. I don't know what the Devil smells like (though I imagine he smells like freshly fried Krispy Kreme doughnuts and a double shot vanilla latte) but I certainly know his presence. Unfortunately, it is usually after he has come and gone and I am left trying to clean up the mess. And perhaps that is a prayer point right there. "Lord, teach me to know when I am being attacked, before I am in the middle of the battle."

You know my weak spots and you stir up my pride – I imagine it is true for every person, but I think this cry is especially important for leaders, and even more so for leaders of any sort in Korea. Why? Here in Korea, leaders are raised to unbelievable heights and shown tremendous advantages. If you are a teacher, think about how your students talk to you, how they turn away when they are eating or drinking something, how they try to hide their cigarettes when they see you walking up the street, how total strangers are impressed with your Korean (even if you can only say hello) and want to spend time with you. All of these things allow the indwelling seeds of pride to grow.

I am learning slowly about my weak spots. Being married has shown me quickly, how weak I really am. I am short tempered, easily frustrated, that I never use the word no to a request even when I know deep down it will damage my relationship with my wife. I, unfortunately, choose ego over wife and as long as I am being praised by others, my wife will have to learn to take a backseat. How wicked it that!?

The end of this prayer is a statement of war and a statement of intent. I don't live to be recognized or praised by people. Ouch! The fact is, I do. This statement is a declaration of war, a declaration against Satan to be sure, but more of a declaration against my sinful flesh and pride that demands to be fed, like Mama Cass at an all-you-can-eat buffet. It is the willful intent to engage in a civil war against the very ways I define myself. Finally, it is a declaration of intent to Satan, to the world to myself, it is not merely a New Year's resolution, but a radical shift of alliances, it is jumping over to the "other side." But along with this, it is a declaration of protection. Let's look at Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together
for good, for
those who are called according to his purpose.
" (ESV)

By declaring that we live to serve Jesus, we are proclaiming our faith and praising our protector. Our protector promises us power to persevere (1 Corinthians 10:13), and ultimately promises in Romans that all things will work for good. Let us be clear that Paul is not talking temporal personal good, like the momentary praises of man that can shift at a moment's notice. But an eternal good, a universal good. Serving my Lord Jesus, means that I am not merely protected, but in the long run I am a tool for someone else's good.

Just some rambling thoughts. How about you? Do you have any rambling thoughts? We would love to read about them. Please use the comment section below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment