Daily Meditation - Jan.04.2010

Sent from Whom?

John 1:19-24

19. This is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent to him priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?"
20. And he confessed and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Christ."
21. They asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" And he said, "I am not " "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."
22. Then they said to him, "Who are you, so that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?"
23. He said, "I am A VOICE OF ONE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS, 'MAKE STRAIGHT THE WAY OF THE LORD,' as Isaiah the prophet said."
24. Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.

The priests and levites wanted an answer from John the Baptist to take back to "those who sent" them. And v.24 clearly states that they were sent from the Pharisees. So, their authority comes from the Pharisees in Jerusalem.

On the other hand, John answers like v.23, "as Isaiah the prophet said." John was just like the word of God spoken through Isaiah. That is, the authority of "a voice of one cyring in the wilderness" is based on the the word of God spoken through Isaiah.

My authority or authenticity or what I am... it's not based on my membership to a certain tradition or organization. It's not from my experiences, titles or responsibilities, either. It's only from the word of God that I hear every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment