Creeds, Confessions, and Catechisms (3C)

Heidelberg Catechism, Lord's Day 1




1. Lord's Day

Q. 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

A. That I with body and soul, both in life and death, [a] am not my own, [b] but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; [c] who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, [d] and delivered me from all the power of the devil; [e] and so preserves me [f] that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; [g] yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, [h] and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, [i] and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him. [j]



Q. 2. How many things are necessary for thee to know, that thou, enjoying this comfort, mayest live and die happily?

A. Three; [a] the first, how great my sins and miseries are; [b] the second, how I may be delivered from all my sins and miseries; [c] the third, how I shall express my gratitude to God for such deliverance. [d]



(If you click on the blue letters you will taken to backing verses)



Note from Keith: I have to admit it, I love the Heidelberg! While other confessions, creeds and catechisms start with very philosophical arguments (compare the above to the Westminster Shorter Catechism (Q. What is the chief end of man? A. To glorify God and enjoy Him forever) the Heidelberg starts with a very practical concern. How to do I find comfort in this world of pain, suffering and chaos?



The answer is quite freeing and reveals some amazing truths. The first comfort is that I am not my own, which means that I am not on my own. We are also reminded that we are saved, delivered, preserved to such an extent that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of God. We are promised that all things must be work towards the enriching and deepening of my salvation. We are promised the Holy Spirit who will not only give us comfort, knowing that we have eternal life, but also provides the desire and ability to live for God.



The second question is equally relevant – what do I need to know that I may live and die in this comfort – the answer is 3 things, in reformed theology shorthand we simply talk about the 3 G's – guilt, grace, and gratitude.

0 comments:

Post a Comment